Wow. Okay. I’ve made it to my fourth week.
I’m quietly a little bit happy with myself.
So, life has been a bit, well un-brilliant since my last post. Very messy and torrid and stressful and tortured with past issues like my ED creeping back (in a totally nasty ‘it’s behind you’ kind of way). As well as this there’s been parent-y stuff going on and I mean, god, you’d think by thirty – mumph I’d be over parent issues but nup…still doing the same old routine .
one thing I have learnt so far with this experiment is that I quite like sewing.
Especially for bub.
Although I miss the time with her.
I’m still very much a beginner so each project takes probably at least twice as long as it should and I make mistakes.
Loads of them.
That is why I wrote about not one but two pin activities this week.
Because if anyone else out there is like me I want them to know the mistakes are ok. It works out….or maybe just don’t make the same ones I did.
I’m going to call this ‘The Bedtime Set’ Because it feels like it needs some tenuous connection other than ‘I sewed them both’
My middlest child wanted a sock monkey for years and we could never find one or when we did we couldnt afford one (at the time Frank was really the only brand in Australia making them) so when I found about twenty pins for DIY sock monkeys I knew I had to make one (there are also so many other sock animals- after middlest saw the monkey I now owe him a sloth. Or a dachund. Or an elephant).
I went with this pin because it seemed easy and beginner friendly. It probably would have been if this beginner had actual fabric scissors and a pencil or chopstick for the turning-narrow-things-in-the-right-way bit. A bamboo skewer just doesn’t cut it. Nor do the kids old school scissors (ba-doom-ch?).
So I marked, and sewed, and hacked and then realised I didn’t have to cut both layers of sock together- so that helped.
Then I spent twenty minutes trying to turn it’s arm in the right way. I gave up. Turned everything except that arm and the far too thin tail inside in and then just unpicked the disobliging limbs and sewed them up on the outside. Bub isn’t two yet. She doesn’t care.
Then I used the template from the tutorial to cut a monkey face and eyes from some left over tshirt fabric. Stuffed and sewed and stuffed and sewed as bub bedtime hurtled at me until we had a monkey.
A bit Frankensteins monstery but definitely a monkey.
Handstitched his mouth (thank you years of embroidery and especially my grade 6 teacher Mrs Scott).
Bub loves him and he hasn’t fallen apart yet. I’m impressed and he is wonky in a loveable and totally fits in with the rest of us way.
I’d wanted to make bub a flanelette nightie for weeks. It’s been freezing in Geelong (-2 last night) & a thin onesie just isn’t enough for my little blanket kicker off-er-er.
I finally asked eldest to pick up some flanelette and elastic from Lincraft, and bub was happy playing in the clean washing mountain so I thought I’d give it a go.
This pinned tutorial is easy. Really. Just if you haven’t sewn clothes before- be careful.
Something went a bit awry and I cut out the pattern backwards I think…either way I had to cut the front and back pieces in half and sew them up the middle.
NB with sewing always look at the shape of things in photos instead of assuming a curve means neckline.
After that it came together well. There was an instruction about sewing elastic onto the sleeves that I couldn’t work out- so I just made a pocket and threaded some through.
One thing I am going to add is a couple of press studs above the hem in the middle so that bub doesn’t end up with that ‘nightie twisted around you, is trying to strangle you and has exposed 80% of your body’ thing. If they don’t work I might use press studs on a pair of leggings and the nightie…or I could make flannel pants…hmmm.
(Also, always double fold hems. I washed the nightie pre wear and I had to re hem it due to fraying. Lesson learned. )
Bub tried it on this morning and didn’t want to take it off.
Also it is huge so -longer life- Yay!
There. A cuddly toy and a nighty. Bedtime set.
The practice with these meant that I felt confident enough to take last winters pjs – two size 0 thick weight onesies by pumpkin patch and sew them into one bigger bub sized onesie- it’s actually kind of cute. Plus warm and comfy. Bonus- it was my idea. Not a Pin in sight. (If you wanted to pin it though that’d be kind of cool :))
Have a happy and warm week everyone.
P.S. I’ve got a couple of pin based long term projects coming along- one for next week that might be especially good for parents of little ones, one for bigger kids. Nothing to do with sewing. Or cooking. Well not much.