Right now I can’t for the life of me remember what I was going to write about…
This week has gone so quickly.
We made Anzacs (as we always do) and danced in the kitchen to Missy Higgins
Truth be told I love all of her music and have a particular soft spot for this . Its especially good after arguments with people you love.
Which happens when they misplace things when you moved house in Febuary and still have no idea where they are. (Yes, I am looking at you, Big M) So that ate up some week.
Then there was this STUPID AND IDIOTIC “postal survey” (plebiscite makes more sense- thought up by plebs. Anyone else do Latin at school? Anyone?) announced in Australia. It has made me rather upset. The amazing and brilliant Tim Minchin sums it up best here and quite simply I believe this :-
Anyway. There was that.
I also did a spot of sewing- we’re going to my cousins wedding in September up in QLD and I’m s-l-o-w-l-y making my way through a pages long to do list (mostly pin inspired).
At the top is “Make E’s Wedding Dress” and yes, we all had a good laugh at that one.
I wanted to make her something that reminded her of a Sari as she often asks to wear one (her passion for Bollywood undimmed)
After looking at so, so, so many patterns for dresses for babies and toddlers. I found this one. For a reversible wrap top.
(Actually first I found this
but I really didn’t want to pay for a pattern and the handy image search corner thing found the top for me).
So I printed out the pattern, then traced it onto baking paper and made it longer and cut it out of some beautiful but very thin Indian cotton I had bought on eBay and some equally beautiful broderie anglais. Also from eBay.
After thinking about it overnight I realised two things. 1. That they would not work as a lining for each other and 2. That I’d cut out one too few front prices and that would have looked very wrong. (One shoulder wrap dress on toddler. Not good)
So the next day I cut out another front piece from the cotton and some lining from Calico and tried to pin it all together. Discovery of the week- pins are like hair elastics- they vanish.
Anyway- I was being careful and taking my time so, yes, the next day I sewed it all together following the instructions – which are actually quite simplre I’d imagine especially so for a slightly more experienced seamstress.
I ended up with a dress which looked okay on the Indian cotton side and lovely on the calico. I hung it up overnight as apparently this helps with hemming.
That night I thought again and realised my mistakes.
The next day I fixed them (sew all edges except the bottom hem first, then seam the sides with the fabric you like least outwards).
I even used a decorative stitch.
Tried it on Bub, hemmed it. Done. One wedding dress that I don’t have a finished picture of. Although here is the next best thing- pre hemming and adding of ties:-
I will have a “proper” picture though- when I finish the pants to go underneath it and make the front panel end in a curve not a point and I’ll put it here